Vaginoplasty is a procedure that tightens the muscles inside the vagina to repair the vagina. It treats a variety of medical issues, including complications from vaginal injury and pelvic floor disease due to childbirth. Some patients combine this procedure with other aesthetic genital procedures such as labiaplasty or vulvoplasty.
Who needs vaginoplasty?
Conditions that may require vaginoplasty:
- Individuals seeking repair of birth defects or trauma to improve sexual function
- Women who need vaginal reconstruction after undergoing radiation or vaginal excision to treat cancer or other conditions
- Trans people who have undergone gender reassignment surgery
- Women born with congenital abnormalities (problems present from birth) that affect the development of the vagina
Is vaginoplasty the same as vaginal rejuvenation?
Vaginoplasty is a type of procedure to improve the appearance or function of the vagina. Other vaginal rejuvenation procedures include:
- Labiaplasty equalizes or reduces the size of the labia, the fleshy lobes of the vagina
- Vulvoplasty reshapes the outer part of the vagina
How is life after surgery?
Vaginoplasty is performed under general anesthesia. Healing can take from a few weeks to several months, depending on the extent of the surgery.
You can always consult experienced plastic surgeon Dr. Umut Suadiye to learn more about your personalized aesthetic needs.
Cleveland Clinic, Vaginoplasty, https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/21572-vaginoplasty#:~:text=Vaginoplasty%20is%20a%20procedure%20to,can%20help%20affirm%20your%20gender. Last Accessed: May 2023.
American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Aesthetic Genital Plastic Surgery, https://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/aesthetic-genital-plastic-surgery/vaginoplasty. Last Accessed: May 2023.