Rhinoplasty is one of the most popular types of cosmetic surgery. Rhinoplasty reshapes your nose to improve your appearance or correct medical problems that prevent you from breathing. It can correct a deviated septum or a broken nose. You may choose to have a rhinoplasty procedure for:
- Correcting a congenital abnormality
- Improving your overall appearance
- Opening blocked nasal passages
- Repairing a facial fracture such as a broken nose
- Restoring respiratory function after illness, cancer treatments, traumatic injuries, or burns
What are different types of rhinoplasties?
There are two main rhinoplasty procedures:
- Open rhinoplasty: It is a large nose reshaping procedure. Your doctor will make incisions to completely separate the skin of your nose from the bone and cartilage, which will allow them to see the anatomy under your nose.
- Closed rhinoplasty: It is a minor nose reshaping procedure. Your surgeon will make incisions inside your nose to separate and reshape your skin from bone and cartilage.
Additional types of rhinoplasties include:
- Aesthetic rhinoplasty: It improves the appearance of your nose and face.
- Non-surgical rhinoplasty (filling rhinoplasty): A type of cosmetic rhinoplasty that uses dermal fillers to temporarily fill in indentations and irregularities in your nose. It can lift a droopy nose tip or smooth out a small bump.
- Functional rhinoplasty: Restores the shape and function of the nose after disease, cancer treatments, or traumatic injury. This type of reconstructive surgery can also be used to correct congenital defects and a deviated septum.
- Secondary rhinoplasty: It reviews or corrects problems that occur after the first rhinoplasty operation. These problems may be minor but are often more complex for your surgeon to repair.
How is life after surgery?
You will receive general anesthesia for the operation. Immediately after the rhinoplasty operation, you may experience swelling as fluid accumulates in and under your skin. After rhinoplasty, every person heals differently. You may only have mild/moderate pain or discomfort. The pain will decrease in a few days to a week after the operation.
You can always consult experienced plastic surgeon Dr. Umut Suadiye to learn more about your personalized aesthetic needs.
Cleveland Clinic, Rhinoplasty. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/11011-rhinoplasty. Last Accessed: May 2023.